Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Needle & Fiber Arts Explorations

This spring I took a needle and fiber arts class from Dr. Barney at BYU. I learned several different needle and fiber crafts and thought about how I could push these techniques conceptually. Here's a summary of what I learned, some resources, and experiments:

Knots

Tatting
I personally hated tatting. It was probably my least favorite of all the crafts, because I found it so incredibly tedious.





Resources:
1. How to

Macrame
I remember making macrame friendship bracelets when I was a kid! To practice my square knot, I made a bracelet for B. 



Who knew this was such a trendy craft? The 1970s really loved macrame.



Resources:
1. How to

Fish Netting
Wrapping an object with this fish netting technique is surprisingly simple.


For my extension, I wrapped a fish!


Resources:
1. How to
Thread

Crochet
Fortunately for me, I taught myself the basics of crochet earlier this year so that I could yarn bomb with my students. I enjoy crocheting.



Resources:
1. How to

Knitting
I learned how to crochet first, which is perhaps why I find knitting so frustrating. I am so slow and seemingly uncoordinated at working two needles at once. Here is my fifth attempt and it's not even pretty.



Resources:
1. How to

Spinning
I'd say spinning is also not my forte. It's really tricky to get the yarn thickness even and it takes a long time if you can't keep your momentum. However, it felt pretty cool being able to spin my own yarn. It makes me want to play with my mother's antique spinning wheels.


Spinning newspaper is another story. Unlike wool, I had to stop at the end  of every newspaper strip length because I feared the weight of the spindle would tear the untwisted roving. This little spool of a 100 ft of spun newspaper took me 8 hours to piece and spin!


Resources:
1. How to

Embroidery
I've had a love for embroidery ever since I was a little girl. My mom taught me how to embroider and cross stitch. I find it relaxing and methodical, except when I'm on a deadline.



Resources:
1. Sublime Stitching
Cloth

Weaving
My limited experience with weaving was extremely time consuming! Each of these ugly, little bracelets took me at least 4 hours. I think it was tedious in part because I used such thin thread. I assume with a thicker string, yarn, and strips of cloth a weave may develop faster.




For my extension, I chose to weave photographs together.

Resources:
1. Simple Frame Loom

Peyote Stitch
I like the peyote stitch. It's commonly found in jewelry and beadwork, but I think it could be applied to making very durable cloth-like material.



Resources:
1. How to

Sewing
I've also had a love of sewing since I was young because my mother is a fabulous seamstress. I always had the best looking Halloween costumes growing up, and I really wish she had taught me more. So, this year for my birthday the only thing I asked for was sewing lessons.





Resources:
1. Four Methods to Sew a Ruffle

Final Project



No comments: